Following the Whispers is going to amuse you!
Her book, Following the Whispers, came out as an eBook recently and I downloaded my copy last week. I confess, I’ve never really read a memoir before, but so far hers is really powerful! This is her final tour stop, so please show Karen how much the Ninja Army rocks!
Karen would like to share with you 10 Ways to Keep Sane While Writing…
Alex, thank you so much for hosting me on this, the 10th and last stop on my book blog tour. I appreciate all you do for other writers. Here are 10 ways to keep sane while writing:
1. Even if you feel like it, don’t pull your hair out during revisions. You will need it while waiting for responses to your query letters.
2. Keep a journal of your feelings as you write, re-write, query and wait. Your family and friends will be forever grateful that you have another outlet for your whining and crying.
3. Even if you think you are finished, remember either a critique partner or an agent or an editor will most likely find more revisions, so don’t throw away the valium just yet.
4. Did I say valium? I don’t drink or take drugs, so I stay sane by stuffing my face. Oops, no, I don’t do that anymore either. Sheesh, I’ve run out of addictions to keep me sane.
5. Do take mini breaks throughout the day. Not kidding here, folks. Mini-breaks really do preserve sanity and help creativity and energy flow.
6. Honor your distractions: TV, blogging, computer games, doing laundry, defrosting the refrigerator, whatever will keep you from pulling out your hair because you want to listen to #1 above.
7. No matter what anyone tells you, Spider Solitaire is not an addiction. It will keep you sane. I promise.
8. Listen to your inner voice, but make sure it’s the wise one, not the one that screams at you, “Who do you think you are that you believe you can write?”
9. The way you know which voice to pay attention to is your insides feel calm when one is speaking and they usually churn upside down when the other shouts.
10. All kidding aside, get yourself a good, solid support system--this online community is great for that. Sharing with others is the best way to keep sane.
Visit Karen at Following the Whispers
Any other suggestions for keeping sane? I vote Hot Tamales and lots of them!